Sunday, June 19, 2011

Food.

I love food. Almost more than I love shoes. Well, maybe I love it more because it never leaves me with blisters on my feet. That would be weird if it did. This past weekend I was lucky enough to experience a whole lot of good, delicious, bust your buttons food.

Two of my dear friends came to visit my beautiful city again, so I wanted to make sure they experienced PGH in a way they didn't before. I took them grocery shopping. Please Note: I live in a house with 7 other women. We need groceries every week and this week happened to be my turn, so 4 extra hands actually made the process a bit faster. As we were walking through Giant Eagle, we picked up a few things so we could enjoy a picnic in one of the beautiful park. A rotisserie chicken (did you know that's how you spell rotisserie? I didn't until I just looked it up, weird) potato salad, and watermelon. We grabbed a blanket, some diet coke and made our way to lay in the grass at Frick Park.

Dinner was a bit more extreme. BRGR. Holy Hell. It was amazing. I made sure to change my shirt to something with a little more give at the end of the evening because I knew I was going to eat. Along with my Yuengling I ordered the Cease & Desist. A gourmet burger with caramelized onions, 1000 island dressing and american cheese. The fries were to die for. I think they added mozzarella cheese and chives, I cant be 100% sure though.



After dinner we ended our night at Mad Mex for $7 Big Azz Margarita's and some chips and salsa that was so spicy my dear Megan barely touched it to her tongue and said, "Ohmanohmanohman" and continued to drink copious amounts of water. I found it to be delicious... but I also had half a margarita left.

After our marathon of eating on Saturday, we woke up to fix our own breakfast this morning. The last time we were all together we were in Hannah's home where she made the most delicious Orange Ricotta Pancakes-- so here is the treat that I am leaving you all with today.

I love these pancakes. We made them for breakfast and I wanted to eat them all. It was probably best that I had 3 other people to share with or I would have been doomed for the rest of the day.

Orange-Ricotta Pancakes
Serves 4 | Prep time: 35 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
1 ¾ cups part-skim ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (1 orange)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons canola oil
Confectioners’ sugar or maple syrup

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ¾ cups (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, and 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (1 orange). Whisk in 2/3 cup all-purpose flour until just combined.

Heat 3 tablespoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Working in batches (and adding more oil to skillet as needed), add batter, using a scant ¼ cup for each pancake. Cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve hot, dusted with confectioners’ sugar or drizzled with maple syrup.


Or you can eat them as they come hot off the skillet like I end up doing....

ap

ps. Happy Father's Day dad!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I think this was one of my favorite weekends, and one of my favorite blog posts.