Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Northern Ireland.?

So I have been very confused lately about what I am doing with my life and what I am doing with my major. I am currently a Social Work major and very sure I will stay a social work major. Lately one topic has been floating around in my brain. This topic is Northern Ireland.
This is a semester program that Bluffton allows for students to take as their cross cultural experience. We are able to learn about the Peace and conflict happening with Northern Ireland right now, and study the history that has happend before. It is something that has been on my mind a lot lately because it would mean being away from home for a semester, being away from friends a semester, and being away from Bluffton. 3 places/people I feel very safe with.
This week the director of this program Mervyn, is coming to discuss about the program, and his personal struggles that have happend throughout his life. I have been looking forward to this because it gives me a time to ask questions, and to really get a feel for the culture.
I am going to give you a PRO and CON list to this...(or at least my feelings of it)
PRO:
I am studying abroad in another culture.
I get to see part of the UK.
Peace and Conflict studies.
I am going to be in a safe environment because of the program.
Internship.
It is beautiful.


CONS:
I will be away.
Without two best friends.
Without family.
Every part of my being will be tested. (faith, stability, actually living alone)

This isnt an easy decision. And the hard part it that I need to turn in my application by the end of October. One month. WOW!I have been able to talk to some of the past students who have gone, and they encourage it!! :) two of my closest friends are there currently and understand the process that I am going through right now. They have helped with explaining the life there and love it as well.

After thinking about what to do, I am actually leaning toward this decision. It will be an experience of a lifetime. How many people get to say they have been to Northern Ireland and studied in one of their schools?? --
Who knows... maybe next year you will be reading my blog about Northern Ireland.??
So much to think about. --

God Bless,
Enjoy the beauty of today,
Anna

No comments: