Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Facebook....

What is facebook? According to Wikipedia (yes, Wikipedia) Facebook is a social networking website that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc. Since September 2006, anyone over the age of 13 with a valid e-mail address can become a Facebook user. Users can add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves. Additionally, users can join networks organized by workplace, school, or college. The website's name stems from the colloquial name of books given to students at the start of the academic year by university administrations in the US with the intention of helping students to get to know each other better.
So… what does that mean for College students?? Facebook is what keeps me from doing my homework, can keep me up at all hours of the night, and can be frustrating at that. It allows for me to look at pictures of friends from high school that I rarely talk to anymore, and it allows me to post random nothing about myself so that other people can read it. Hmmm, why do I do this?
Well—because everyone else is? Not a good enough reason. I love facebook, but I am learning to live without it. That in itself is a difficult task. I’ve spent the past 4 years updating my status, uploading pictures, writing on others “walls” and staying in contact with friends. And I probably am not the first person to tell you this, but facebook is brilliant. When I was in Ireland for a semester, facebook kept me posted on what was happening back home, my parents could see my pictures online, and my sisters could still communicate with me. Brilliant, but now that I am graduating and will be looking for a job within the next year, it might be wise to begin setting up security settings on my “profile” or getting rid of the people that I am not really in contact with.
Thanks for listening to my rant about facebook--- and if you are coming to college (facebook is a good thing).

Blessings of Peace,
Anna

No comments: