Friday, October 16, 2009

Marbeck Desk

I don't know if any of you've ever called Bluffton before, but if you call the switch board someone will more than likely answer. One of those someones could be me. This is one of my campus jobs. I am a "Marbeck Desk Manager", or so it says on my paycheck and time sheet. Sometimes I like to think of it as an operator. Its funny to hear stories about when you would call the operator to be connected to someone else and my mother always wanted to have that job, and now.... I basically have that job for Bluffton. I sit at a desk out front and get a computer to surf on and the switchboard to answer. Many calls come from local community members calling to check on sporting events, or faculty calling to try and get a hold of their students. It is a popular place to be (sometimes). I have worked at the front desk for a full 2 years and I am on my 3rd. I like this job a lot. My dear friend Abby works in the mail room behind the front desk, so there are plenty of times when I'm laughing at work. We like to sing to people walking past. There are different times when the front desk gets rather busy, but I happen to be working, none of those times, so I have a lot of down time.
Working at the desk is a great job. I can meet a lot of people and the people I work with are incredible. Dan, Mark, Mark, and Marcia are some of the best at Bluffton. I recommend that if you ever visit, or go to school here that you stop by and chat with them. I bet you will laugh at one point in a conversation. :)

Try to stay warm... rumor is it might snow this weekend. :(

Blessings of Peace,
Anna

No comments: