Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday nights

So I have been writing these blogs for the past 2 years. It has been really exciting to talk about my life at Bluffton and everything that it has to offer. I do have one worry though, it is that I am afraid I am writing about the same things year after year. For example, my friends, Shining Through, MCB events, and the regular weekend things.

Today my post is actually going to focus more on academics. Sure Bluffton has incredible things to offer in extracurricular things but what about academics?
I am a 3rd year Social Work Major and a Peace and Conflict Studies Minor. What can I do with those 2 things?? Good Question> :)
I arrived at Bluffton 2 1/2 years ago without a major.

1st Rule of thumb: You do not have to come into Bluffton with a Major ready. You can take General education classes to figure things out. I came in an undecided major and didn't declare Social Work until Fall of my Sophomore year. Sure, it doesn't work like that for everyone, but don't forget that you can actually stop and take some classes that you might just be interested in. :)

After declaring, you can meet with an advisor from your field and they will help you with everything that you need; from classes to where to go. Usually advisors are a huge help.

From there you just go with the flow. Take classes, involve yourself with other things on campus, make friends. Easy Peazy.
--------------------------------------------------

Just the other day, I had to actually be accepted into the social work program. See due to the fact that our social work program is accredited I needed to declare as well as actually interview and be accepted by the head chairs. It was a small interview with the professors just stating what I can actually do better, what I am excelling in. It was actually a great point in the semester to stop and evaluate myself. I am really excited to stop and jump back into the workings of Social work. My field is very broad in the sense that I can leave and do many different things with it. I could jump straight into grad school, I could start a job, I can do so many incredible things with the major. I am really excited to be able to take the time to learn such a interesting perspective on things.

The academics at Bluffton seem to be just another step on the Bluffton Campus. People care here and will always seem to make or break an experience.

If you have questions on anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Blessings of Peace
Anna

No comments: