Thursday, October 16, 2008

Suprises...

There are many things that I want to talk about today. I'm not sure whether or not they will be of any interest, but within the past few days of working on my papers, I have been reading about the Conflict resolution that has been going on within Northern Ireland. Yesterday we took a trip to Belfast with the group and did a lot of 'tourist' things, but we also got the chance to go to Stormont which is where the parliament of NI takes place. During that we hand the opportunity to talk to two differnt men involved with two different political parties of NI. The DUP (unionist party) and Sinn Fein (republican party). These two different men had a lot to say about the backgroud of their party, as well as their bias opinions of how the government is running (or not running) at the moment. NI's politics are the backgroud of the conflict that has happened, so it was interesting to hear the different points of views.

Going along with the conflict, I am now writting my paper for Mervyn's class, which the topic is based around conflict resolution and whether or not it can resolve conflict, or just provides temporary solutions to the troubles. This paper looks as if it is going to be one of the most difficult things for me, because I myself don't know how I feel about it. Of course in a perfect world, I would love to say that conflict resolution is going to solve all the problems, and even right now I would jump for joy if it is possible. The one thing that I think it does do, is open up the eyes for more underlying issues of the problem.

The best thing about this semester so far is that I can question things like that. And although it drives me crazy not knowing my own answer, i am able to stop and think about what is challenging myself as a person.
Ireland has been one of the best experiences that I have had in the last 20(1) years of my life. I am able to see differences in people I came with, people I live with, and within my own country.

wow.

Blessings and peace! :)
Anna




No comments: