Monday, September 22, 2008

Ireland

I have been busy during the days and bored at night! Life in Derry is interesting. The first things that come to mind to inform you about would be that there are a lot of random dogs running about over the city. I laugh so hard when I see them, because they literally just run and bark at the moving cars and vehicles. I am doing well. Last week was the first time that I have felt a bit homesick, but that is too be expected. A lot my time currently will be spent on typing papers and researching. I have to write 5 by the end of October. Outside of that, this weekend the group from Bluffton took a trip up to the Northern Coast of Ireland to Donegal. This is the same place that my host family has a house. It is beautiful. The weather started out really great but ended up rainy by the end. We were able to walk around in some old Forts and then went to a replica of the Famine Village. This was where the setting was similar to what it would be like when the Potatoe Famine was happening. It was really neat to see and hear about how life was then.
After that Carrie and I came home and went to church last night at a place called 7. It is more upbeat and college age. Its a good place where the two of us can interact with other students our age and also just people outside of the group. We are big fans of it. :)

We came home after that and decided to watch a movie upstairs in our host sisters room (thanks to golf being on tv and Stevie kicking us out of the living room :) ) It was a good night. Carrie is a big blessing in my life because I can talk to her about anything. She is open with her view of life and is just easy to chat with in general. I have been blessed greatly on this trip! :)
This place is incredible. I am learning to be on my own, which is what I am going to learn about the most. Its a bit scary thinking about that, but it's true. This trip is very independant/dependant. Doesn't make any sense does it?
I have become independant in the way of living, but still dependant on the system of the education and some of the people around me.
At the end of the days, I feel very productive which is a helpful blessing all in itself.

Ireland is a place to learn and I am doing just that!

Here are the lyrics to a traditional Irish song... (one of my favorites too)

Galway Girl

Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl

We were halfway there when the rain came down
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
And she asked me up to her flat downtown
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl
And I lost my heart to a Galway girl

When I woke up I was all alone
With a broken heart and a ticket home
And I ask you now, tell me what would you do
If her hair was black and her eyes were blue
I've traveled around I've been all over this world
Boys I ain't never seen nothin' like a Galway girl


-blessings-
Anna

No comments: