Friday, May 4, 2012

Sneak Peek to Summer



Today. I had my sneak peek of Summer.


Recently in Pittsburgh the weather has been a little bit crazy. It has gone from 80 degrees to low 50s very quickly. Today, I walked out of my house to that smell of West Virginia air. Anyone in my family knows what I'm talking about. It's a light, cool, mountain air. I love that smell. I would always yell through our screen door when I was little that, "IT SMELLS LIKE WEST VIRGINIA OUTSIDE, MOM". She would always nod her head and walk out to breathe it in.  That was our summers. The week long vacation at Aunt Marie's house. Camping outside with Lisa and Lori. Walking through Twin Falls, hoping that there would be water pouring off of the stones. I closed my eyes for a minute and smiled as I thought about those days.

As I was sitting next to Joel tonight coming home from the grocery store, I couldn't help but smile and stare out into the place I call home now. The sun was setting and the lights from all of the businesses on Penn Ave had that florescent glow. As we drove through the light I peered into the side mirror and watched the sun fade behind me. My arm resting outside of the car, reflecting in the mirror. It was in that moment when I caught my first glimpse of Summer in Pittsburgh. I don't know if it was the way the breeze was blowing, or the peaceful smirk that Joel had on his face, but I could picture Summer in that moment.

As much as I love Summer, the activities, the vacation, the people outside, I also love Spring. I am not wishing it away at all. The flowers, beautiful flowers, the image of growth and life. Who wouldn't love it??


So, for right now, I'll take my sneak peek to Summer and I'll smile every time I think of it. I'll store it away for a rainy day when I can bring it out to look forward too.

Here's to the West Virginia air and a glimpse of Summer.

ap

No comments: